Thursday, March 6, 2008

Judo Math

I started my day off in a meeting with Ben Daly. He discussed me possibly being able to take a class offered by HTH. A majority of the teachers are furthering their education by getting a masters or completing the certification process. After looking at the class schedule, there was no class that started and ended while I will be here, probably because their spring break is the last two weeks of March. He also advised me to observe different teachers for a week and then choose one that I would like to be my mentor. He thought this was a better idea instead of me wondering for a month and I completely agree. After talking with Ben, I went over to Dan Thoene's classroom where I found him preparing for this next class. A correction from yesterday, Dan is an 8th grade math/science teacher with a math background. Ben had mentioned some Judo Math program that Dan had designed so I was curious to hear about it. I didn't really know what questions to ask Dan so I just brought it up and he started talking about it. He got the idea from this Karate instructor that came to speak at the school and was explaining to the students that Karate helped to improve a person's whole life. A student asked the instructor how long it took to get each belt and the instructor told the student that it was different for every person. Dan made the connection between achieving different belts and understanding different math concepts and so Judo Math was born. It is based on four main topics with four sub-topics under each, so for the whole year the students will master 16 concepts. For each main topic the students begin with a white belt which is represented by a white armband like Lance Armstrong's LIVESTRONG bands. Once they have learned the first sub-topic they take an assessment or placement test with 10 questions which forces them to apply their knowledge to real-life situations. If they master the concept, meaning they get 8 out of 10 correct, they receive a yellow belt. They only take these placements on Friday and then they have a belt ceremony where Dan puts on this Chinese looking hat and presents the yellow belt to the students at the front of the class while saying, "Congratulations my student," in Chinese. After yellow, they receive orange, blue, and finally black when they have mastered all four sub-topics. After the black belt, if some students still haven't received their black belt, those who have can do some extra practice to receive a green belt and become sensas. So by the end of the year every student will have four black belts and possibly four green belts. The students are eating up the idea; they absolutely love it! They have been part of the whole process and since the idea is new they are still working out all the kinks. Dan also explained to me his theory for teaching 8th graders. He uses the buddy system. Unlike many teachers who feel that teachers should not be their students' friends, Dan has an opposite approach. He believes that if he is his students' buddy, they will behave and work for him because they like him and don't want to disappoint him. He says he is going to write a book and I told him he should attach it to his Judo Math package. He has already put a copyright on the name 'Judo Math' and the students are designing a logo in art. Pretty serious stuff. I told Dan that I should probably get his autograph so in three years when he is rich and famous and not teaching, I can say that I met him and talked with him about his idea. It really is a brilliant idea, I hope I have done it justice over the internet. After talking to Dan about Judo math, I observed his class and then went to lunch. After lunch, I began wondering again until I stopped in Darrell's room. Darrell is an engineering teacher and a great mentor to the students. He has come up with this idea called 'The Power of We.' He believes there are 3 P's acting on these kids' lives: their parents, professors, and peers. He has bought the .com and .org websites and is going to expand the idea to create on-line communities to enable people to connect. These teachers are so incredible, innovative, and inspiring to be around. I have met quite a few wonderful teachers so far in my short two days and I look forward to picking their brains on educational issues. As far as observing classes, the first week is always awkward wondering around not know when classes start and which teachers teach where, but that all seems to far in place.

No comments: