Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 2

Day 2 started very similar to day 1: hanging out in the gym and then going with Mark to his advisory period.  I did find out that when students arrive they get 'morning work' which is a sheet with grammar and math problems they are to finish during advisory.  During block 1 when I was observing 6th grade math with Joyce, a girl failed to complete any of her morning work or lifework which resulted in an immediate call to her parent.  Yes, you heard me right, but a little background first.  Every teacher has a school cell phone, paid for by KIPP, for students to reach them on at night to get help on their lifework.  KIPP believes in 'no excuses' so the students have no excuse for not having perfect lifework everyday.  These cell phones come in handy when students are misbehaving and not completing lifework.  By the first hour this morning, I believe two phone calls home were made.  KIPP involves the parents as much as possible having them sign assignment sheets, test grades, and other important papers that are sent home.  Before attending KIPP students have a home visit with their KIPP teacher.  At this meeting, the parents and student sign a commitment to excellence contract.  So back to my story about the girl....she was pulled out of the classroom for the phone call to her parent and returned 15 min. later.  Today the students were working with ratios of dimensions.  I really enjoyed Joyce's method of teaching because she simply guided the students' thinking, letting them take their time to brainstorm and reach a correct answer or explanation.  I am excited to continue learning her methods!  For block 2, I was with 5th grade reading, who were preparing for the TAX, which I understand to be like our CTBS tests.  She was giving them strategies to succeed and remain in control and calm during their test.  Block 3 was spent helping Mr. Young with his ice cream lesson.  The students were making ice cream so I handed out ingredients and answered questions.  From 3-5, I was in the 8th grade math tutoring.  Students who struggle in math come in for tutoring either from 3-4 or 4-5 every day.  It was a little chaotic, but I was able to work one-on-one with students on their math.  I have not been with the 7th or 8th graders very much and hope to get more involved with them soon.                                                     Interesting pieces of my day:                                                                                                                            ~The students call every woman teacher Miss.  Not Miss Beach, just Miss.  One of the teachers thinks this is disrespectful and demands they call her Miss Mallory, but another teacher believes it is just their culture and not a sign of disrespect at all.  Kind of interesting but its something to get used to                                                                                                                        ~Miss Starr, who I talked about yesterday, informed me at lunch that approximately 12 students asked her if we were sisters.  She asked them if it was just because we were white and they said no it was because we both have blonde hair.  This is interesting because Miss Starr's hair is clearly red.  I thought this was so interesting because if you ask a Hispanic student what color their hair is, most likely they will answer brown or dark brown when clearly to you their hair is black.  A very interesting cultural trait I found.                                                                                 ~For the second day I have taken a new route home and tomorrow it will be three.  Karen, my GPS system, and I got in a little argument today.  I thought for sure I knew more than  her and that I could get myself home quicker by not following her instructions.  She continued to work with me by 'recalculating her route' but I kept ignoring her.  [Sometimes she insists that you make a u-turn at the next available moment in order to get back on her track]  Needless to say, she was right. The route I chose took longer because the road took some unexpected curves.  Tomorrow, I will follow Karen's every move hoping she does not lead me into construction or a dead end, both of which have happened in the four days I have here.  Lets just say that construction is not Karen's speciality.                                                                                              ~Home life is fabulous, I could not be happier or blessed with a better family.  They are wonderful.  I played a little memory with the kids tonight and then went to a Mary Kay party with Jenn.  Galen is big into politics so I am learning a lot about the election which is a wonderful thing.                                                                                                                                                   *Tomorrow could be interesting because I believe the students get out at 2:30 and the teachers remain for professional development.  Possibly a short day?!  Anyways, hope you have a had a great Tuesday!

No comments: