Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Half Day

Today was pretty uneventful, but there were a couple of highlights. Both 5th and 6th grade were having quizzes so there wasn't much to observe or teach. The inclusion teacher who was with me yesterday gave me some pointers on my teaching experience. She began by telling me I was too nice and that I should take out the word 'please' from my vocabulary. She talked about the 'dance' of teaching saying its all about the flow of teaching and managing at the same time. She thought I had done a nice job teaching the material, but pointed out that any time you have to stop teaching to manage behavior, you have lost the class. She advised me to command my space with the mentality that this is my room and they are simply guests. I understand her suggestion, but since I have only been in the school for 2 weeks, I believe the room is theirs. She told me that when I got over the desire for the students to like and respect me, I would do much better managing. I think teachers have to walk a fine line between being well-liked and respected. If students like a teacher, they are more likely to behave because they don't want to disappoint the teacher. I want to run a well-managed classroom where my students enjoy both me and my class. I really appreciated the time she took to give her opinion and it never hurts to get a little constructive criticism. My only issue with her critisim of my management was the fact that she was in there with me and I didn't see her taking control of the students! The rest of the day was spent grading papers and observing. At the end of the day during the town meeting, I watched the 7th and 8th graders recieve awards of the week from their teachers. Each teacher chose one exceptional student who had went above and beyond in the area of academics and team & family. The students were excited to recieve the awards and cheered on their teammates that were awarded. After all the awards were given, the 8th graders went into a public apology. They went into a circular room with a cathedral celing that was in a different part of the gym. Apparently, a student had went on the field trip last Friday who did not earn it. He knew he was not supposed to go, but went anyway. He stood in front of his teammates to apologize for this selfishness and ask for their forgiveness. They were very receptive to his apology and applauded him when he was finished.

~P.S. A little update on Karen for those of you who are missing her in my blog. She goes on vacation during the week because I do not go anywhere except to KIPP and back home. There is not much time or energy for anything else. Its only when I go on adventures, that I ask for her attendance.
~P.S.S. The family is doing wonderfully. Tomorrow is Valentines Day and everyone is really excited to give out their treats and have a party at school. Jenn made Mackenzie the cutest valentine outfit ever. Hopefully I will get a picture to post on here.

No comments: