Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools!

I began my day by introducing myself to Amy, the 11th grade math teacher, one more time and asking her if I could observe her for the next two weeks. HTH has so many visitors walking in and out of classrooms that the teachers don't pay too much attention to or energy on visitors. I figured I might as well talk to her a bit so she doesn't wonder why I keep showing up to her 1st period class. Today's class was just an extension from yesterday's sine and cosine functions. They went over the homework and then worked on manipulating the sine function equation to stretch and shift the curve. She used sketchpad to demonstrate the effects of each change. For homework, students converted radian measure to degree and predicted the graph of a sine equation using their new knowledge about shifting and stretching the curve. In Dan's class, students who have not yet received their yellow belts went out in the hall with Erin to work on their homework packet while the remainder of the class worked on another lab activity that required them to take down data and draw a graph. I floated back and forth between both groups to help answer questions. One of the downfalls of Judo math is that some students don't achieve their belt for many weeks and then fall further and further behind. Since this is the first year of Judo Math, there are many kinks to work out and this is one of them. For X block, I watched the play rehearsal. In the second part of Dan's class the students finished their sketches and material list for their exhibition project and then began taking apart a toy that sings and dances to understand how a motor works. The students had a blast taking apart these toy hamsters and turtles. What a great way to learn how something works! After a chaotic class full of students getting screwdrivers and asking questions, I observed Ms. K's peaceful 7th grade math class. She began class by walking around to take homework grades while the students worked on the opening assignment. They went over the opening assignment and then worked on test taking strategies. Ms. K explained to me that since they don't rush through material and teach toward the STAR, which is the California standard, there is material on the test her students have not covered so she gives them skills to make an educated guess. At the end of class the students got computers and worked on more STAR prep questions using a computer program called Study Island. My favorite part of Ms. K's teaching style is her patience. She really gives students a chance to respond and explain their answers. She also lets students correct and help students which I think makes them pay attention. Before the last period of the day, I introduced myself to Casey, who heads the tutoring department, and let her know I would be willing to help whenever they needed me. Since they have approximately 5 tutors hired to help students and aid teacher, there isn't much of a need for me, so I have had to push to find a significant job at this school. For the last period, I sat in a 7th grade drama class where students were writing a monologue. I enjoyed walking around, reading the students work.

No comments: