Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The last couple of days

Friday and Monday were pretty uneventful for me, but busy for everyone else. Everyone is getting ready for exhibition night which is this Thursday. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend because I am leaving tomorrow. My days consisted of walking around asking questions about all the projects. I found out that the other team of 8th grade students is doing a look throughout the decades. Groups of five are focusing on one decade in the 1900's and building scenes that resemble their decade. Each student will be dressed up with a prop, ready to discuss their topic of either the science, social, political, pop-culture, or economic events of their decade. Today went pretty fast because I did a little bit of observing and a lot of helping. I observed Mrs. Strong's 6th grade math class work on percents. She decided to split them into two groups allowing the high students to challenge themselves and the average to low students work on the basic information. Then I sat in Dan's class, as they had a democratic discussion about exhibition night. They decided if they wanted to wear all black and if they wanted to have a silent auction to auction off their graph-it art. The students decided to have the auction to fundraise for their 8th grade promotion. For the remainder of the class they worked to finish collecting and graphing their data for their linear relationship project. I was lucky enough to help one student pick out the two hovercrafts they are going to use on Thursday night to give rides to the parents and children as they come in. I am so happy I was able to see how they worked. With a leaf blower in hand, sitting perfectly centered on top of the board, I cruised across the cement. After X-block and lunch, I observed the other 8th grade team's teachers as they quizzed their students‘ knowledge. It was great to get a summary of the century in a matter of 60 minutes. At the end of the day, I helped Dan's class put up black table covers around the walls of the room to create their art gallery for Thursday. Tomorrow I plan to meet with my contact person one last time and say goodbye to all the wonderful people I have met in the High Tech Community. I will start my last transition next Monday in Chicago at The Young Women's Leadership Charter School.

No comments: