Friday, April 25, 2008

Bring your daughter to work day

So this morning I thought I was a little too good for Karen because I decided to leave her in the trunk and try to get to school on my own. I thought about bringing her into the car just in case I got turned around, but I guess I was confident in my abilities and decided against my best judgment. Sure enough after getting on the 90/94 freeway and then the 55, I made one wrong choice and got turned around. With the help of my mom looking on map quest I got back on track and was at the school in no time. Today Mr. McCain asked me to help two girls who had turned in their research paper twice and continued to receive not-yets. He explained that they might be a little frustrated about the idea of redoing their paper, but the individual attention would be helpful. One paper was about the Rwanda genocide and the other was about Columbia. Mr. McCain explained the expectation of the paper and the background information on the two conflicts. It was a great learning experience because before today I wasn't familiar with either event. The new information will be useful when working with the students to revise their papers. After my talk with Mr. McCain, I read the paper about Rwanda before finding out that the student was not going to be there today, but I can help her on it when she returns. The rest of the morning, I helped some students with math and with their research papers. After lunch, I was planning on observing some math classes, but Mr. Woodard informed me that the seniors were gone, the juniors were testing, the 7th & 8th graders were on a field trip, and it was bring your daughter to work day, so basically there weren't any students in the building. At that point I decided to call it a day and catch up on some much needed rest.

No comments: